- Sample Job Titles:
- Automotive Body and Related Repairers
- Insurance Appraisers
- Auto Damage Estimator/Appraiser Claims Adjuster
- Field Inspector/Appraiser
- Painter/Refinisher Technician
- Glass Technician
Technical and Higher Education Majors:
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies/Technicians
- Autobody/Collision and Repair Technology/Technician
- Restoration, Frame Repair
Certification and Career Advancement: Certification by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE), although voluntary, is the pervasive industry credential for non entry-level automotive body repairers. This is especially true in large, urban areas. Repairers may take up to four ASE Master Collision Repair and Refinish Exams. Repairers who pass at least one exam and have 2 years of hands-on work experience earn ASE certification. The completion of a post-secondary program in automotive body repair may be substituted for 1 year of work experience. Those who pass all four exams become ASE Master Collision Repair and Refinish Technicians. Automotive body repairers must retake the examination at least every 5 years to retain their certification. Many vehicle manufacturers and paint manufacturers also have product certification programs that can advance a repairers career.
CONNECTIONS TO WORK AND HIGHER EDUCATION
Industry Affiliations: SKILLS USA, National Automotive Technicans Education Foundation (NATEF)
Industry Certifications available in High School: OSHA 10 hour General Industry Certification Mobile Air Conditioning (MACS) Refrigerant Certification
College Credits toward post-secondary certifications/degrees can be earned through Articulation Agreements with:
Universal Technical Institute (UTI) : Tuition Credit
New England Institute of Technology (NEIT): Tuition Credit for the following courses:
- TT105 Intro. to Transportation Technology - 2 cr.
- AUB118 Welding for Collision Repair - 2 cr.
- AUB101 Fundmtls. Auto Body Metal Repair - 3 cr.
- AUB103 Fundmtls. Auto Body Metal Repair Lab - 2 cr.
- AUB137 Fundmtls Parts and Refinishing Equip - 2 cr.
- AUB138 Fund Parts and Refinishing Equip. Lab - 2 cr.
PREPARATION FOR MASSACHUSETTS EXAMINATION TO BECOME LICENSED AUTO DAMAGE APPRAISER: COURSE AVAILABLE THROUGH NE ADULT EDUCATION PROGRAM: must be at least 18 years old with 2 years work experience in field.