Sample Job Titles:
- Dental Assistant
- Orthodontic Assistant
- Surgical Dental Assistant
- Dental Products Sales Representative
- Insurance Claims: Medical Records
Technical and Higher Education Majors:
- Dental Hygienist
- Dental Laboratory Technician
Career Advancement: Some dental assistants become office managers, dental-assisting instructors, dental product sales representatives, or insurance claims processors for dental insurance companies. Others go back to school to become dental hygienists. Dental Assisting is one of the fastest growing professions and for many is a rewarding life-long career. Upon graduation from this Chapter 74 approved career-technical program, students are eligible to register with the Massachusetts Dental Society as a registered Dental Assistant.
Post-Grad Certifications: Certification is available through the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) and is recognized or required in more than 30 States. Certification is an acknowledgment of an assistant’s qualifications and professional competence. Candidates qualify for the exam by having 2 years of full-time, or 4 years of part-time, experience as a dental assistant. In addition, applicants must have current certification in cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
CONNECTIONS TO WORK AND HIGHER EDUCATION
Weekly externship at Tufts School of Dental Medicine while in Dental Assisting program at Northeast: working with the undergraduate and postgraduate dental students includes: clinical concentration: chairside dental assisting, radiology, patient preparation, and expanded functions and clerical concentration: introduction to dental office management.
Industry Affiliations: SKILLS USA
Industry Certifications Available in High School:
- American Heart Association: BLS, CPR, AED Certification
- American Red Cross First Aid
- OSHA 10 hour General Industry Certification
- Dental Assistant National Board (DANB) Infection Control Certification (optional exam)
- Dental Assistant National Board (DANB) Radiology Certification (optional exam)
- Massachusetts Radiology Certification (optional exam)