Who is responsible for each section of the college application process?
- Talk with your child about post-secondary planning and discuss realistic options.
- Do a www.kudernavigator.com search with your child and view their electronic portfolio
- Visit colleges with your child the summer prior to their senior year.
- Develop a list of colleges that you will apply to.
- Review your child’s essay and college applications (sign the application.)
- Attend financial aid night at Northeast Metro Tech.
- Complete financial aid forms prior to the deadline and send to colleges.
- Complete the release of information form and send to guidance.
- Search using www.kudernavigator.com or www.collegeboard.com to find the best options for schools.
- Attend presentations in Career Center with your guidance counselor and career counselor.
- Attend after-school application and college search help sessions in Career Center.
- Complete the form on college interests prior to your meeting with counselor.
- Complete research of the schools you are planning on applying to.
- Visit colleges on your list and set up interviews if necessary.
- Attend College, Technical and Military Fair at Northeast.
- Meet all deadlines for application, transcript requests, and scholarships.
- Complete essay and online applications, and all necessary materials.
- Take the SATs and request for Collegeboard to send SATs to colleges. (www.collegeboard.com)
- Ask one academic and one shop teacher for a letter of recommendation.
- Provide teachers with resume.
- Research scholarships.
- Complete Transcript Request/release of information and forward to guidance.
- Send thank you notes to those who helped you with the college process.
Guidance Counselor responsibilities
- Give presentations during first weeks of school year explaining websites, timelines, options and process.
- Assist students with the college application process.
- Complete and mail counselor recommendation form.
- Mail Northeast school report, profile and transcript.
- Mail additional information requested by student.
Career Counselor responsibilities
- Meet with seniors in small groups to discuss the college application process with counselors.
- Assist students with researching post secondary options through www.kudernavigator.com and www.collegeboard.com.
- Complete four year educational career plan..
Academic and Vocational teacher support
- Review essays, cover letters and resumes with students through English department.
- Teacher writes recommendations when asked by student. Student provides up-to-date resume and request weeks in advance.